Stories and photographs by Jim Hamerlinck©2009, 2010, 2011

Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Aerialist

Photobucket
Blue Tarp 1, 2009



When are you going to fix the roof?

When the rain lets up a bit.

It’s not raining now.

It's not?

No.

I need to get a few more materials. The right tools. I need to do some research. On the internet.

What were you just doing on the internet?

Looking at…pictures of…endangered wildlife.

There’s a leak in the bedroom now.

Yeah, I know.

And the bathroom.

Yes. I know.

You said you would fix it this weekend.

I'm organizing my thoughts.




Photobucket
Blue Tarp 2, 2009





Why don’t you just hire a contractor?

I told you I don’t trust contractors. They’ll just charge us for repairs we don’t really need. And they’ll take forever. I’ll do this myself and save us thousands of dollars.

Alright. When?

It's stopped raining?

Yes. The kitchen has a leak, too.

It does?

Yes.

Hmm.

Should I call my brother?

No.

Why not? He’ll help. He’s good. He wants to help.

I don’t need help. It’s a one man job.

You sure?

I’ll fix the roof.

You know what you’re doing?

What?

You know what you're doing?

I might have to improvise.

Improvise?



Photobucket
Blue Tarp 3, 2009

© Jim Hamerlinck.All Rights Reserved.

  • “There's nothing to be gained from passive observance, the simple documenting of conditions, because, at its core, it sets a bad example. Every time something is observed and not fixed, or when one has a chance to give in some way and does not, there is a lie being told, the same lie we all know by heart but which needn't be reiterated.” Dave Eggers